This one’s written for a friend whose tumblr blog needed a few more visitors. He asked me to help and I suggested that Twitter might be one way to achieve this. After verbalising his distaste for a few moments he came round to the idea. Here’s what we did:
- Created a twitter account – free and simple to do.
- Set the tumblr blog to automatically post to twitter. (Most blogs allow this.)
- Added a nice background to his twitter profile and put up a picture.
The next thing to do is get followers on Twitter. Here’s what we recommend, in no particular order, just do them all:
- Find people on Twitter that post similar things (like fashion). Follow them.
- Follow the people that are following the people you’re interested in.
- Search for people who send interesting tweets. search.twitter.com is a good place to start. Follow them all.
- Create lists of people you like. Like the PolkaSpots one here.
- Read the tweets of the people above and ‘retweet‘ them. This sends the tweet out to the people who follow you.
- Comment on people’s tweets and retweet them – be human.
- Read lots of websites everyday and use the ‘Tweet Me’ button to send interesting things out.
- Post links but not too many.
Things not to do:
- Never follow more than about 100 people day (max) otherwise you’ll be suspended. We were stuck for ages on this one.
- Never never never never never never use / pay for services to get twitter followers.
- Never never never never never never send spam out
- Never blatantly advertise yourself / services. It’s not cool
That’s it, have patience – it doesn’t happen over night.